We hope to address most major questions here. If your query is not addressed, please send us a message and we'll respond as quickly as possible.
Who qualifies for Irish citizenship by descent?
What official documents do I need to apply for citizenship?
- What’s the full name of the ancestor?
- When was s/he born?
- Where was s/he born? A county, parish, or town name is most helpful.
- Did s/he marry and have children in Ireland? If so, whom, when, and where?
- When and where did s/he die?
What if my ancestry is from Northern Ireland?
If your grandparent -- or in rare cases, great-grandparent -- was born in what’s now Northern Ireland, you can still have citizenship in the Republic of Ireland. Or in some situations, you may be able to choose United Kingdom citizenship by virtue of Northern Ireland being a member of the U.K. Consider carefully all the options and pros vs. cons of each, including current and possible future political and economic conditions. See this reference on United Kingdom dual nationality.
But my interest is in contracting a genealogy researcher. Where do I start?
- Write down everything you can remember about that branch of your family. Names, dates, places, relationships (who married whom, what were their children’s names, etc.?).
- Speak to the members of your family who might have first-hand memories of the ancestors in question. Try to ask open-ended questions like, “Tell me about your grandfather, what do you remember about him? Did he ever tell stories about his parents or homeland?” Consider using a smartphone to record the conversation so you can transcribe it later -- this frees your attention to ask pertinent follow-up questions.
- Find any supporting documents in your family’s possession like birth/marriage certificates, a family Bible, and photographs that are labeled with names, places, or dates.
- Compile everything you’ve found so it is concise and comprehensive, to give your chosen researcher a solid foundation upon which to begin work on your behalf.
How much do you charge?
Please see our Services page to get a general idea of approximate cost. We'll quote you a price tailored to your specific goals for this research project. Bundling services will reduce the overall rate.
Out-of-pocket costs including but not limited to photocopies, postage and handling, repository entrance fees, travel and lodging (when reasonable, necessary and agreed upon in advance), database fees and the like, up to $50, will be billed separately and are due upon receipt. Expenses greater than $50 will be authorized in advance, by Client, in writing. Additional hours of research, as outlined in the research plan prepared for Client, will be billed at a rate of $25 per hour, in increments of no less than five (5) hours.
How can I make payment to you?
Cabragh West Research can accept payment via PayPal or you can mail us a personal check. If you choose to mail a personal check, research work cannot begin until the check clears. Before you make any payment, we will provide you with a detailed invoice so there is no confusion about the services and total quoted price.
Help, my question isn't addressed here!
Send us a message, we'll respond as quickly as we can.